Attorney Matthew W. O’Toole
Location: Richmond, VA
Phone Number: (
Matthew O’Toole is an associate of Carrell Blanton Ferris & Associates, PLC. Prior to practicing, Matthew spent three years working in Private Wealth at SunTrust Bank, as a Closely Held Business Officer, right after his legal studies at University of Richmond Law.
While working in Private Wealth, most notably dealing with Trust Administration and Closely Held Businesses, Matthew was able to understand and see first-hand how the trust is administered as a corporate trustee. Being able to see things from a corporate fiduciary standpoint prior to practicing, Matthew brings a unique aspect to the firm.
Matthew believes that estate administration and estate planning requires a great deal of communication and personal touch. Having dealt with many complex relationships within the bank, Matthew understands the importance of maintaining relationships and building trust within those relationship to make sure the client’s needs are heard and achieved to its best ability.
Born and raised in Richmond, Virginia, Matthew enjoys being around friends and family in his free time, while also cheering on his favorite sport teams, Pittsburgh Steelers and Pirates. A graduate of JMU and Richmond, Matthew is a frequent attendee of local sporting events as well.
- SunTrust Banks, lnc./Truist Financial Corporation Closely Held Business, VP, January 2018 – January 2021
- Private Wealth Management, Trust Officer, May 2017- Jan 2018
- Law Office of Robert L. Flax, PC, Legal Assistant, Summer 2016
- Apex Systems, Inc., Legal Intern, Fall 2015- Spring 2017
- Legal Information Network for Cancer (LINC), Intern, Summer 2015
- University of Richmond School of Law, J.D., 2017
- James Madison University
B.S. in Journalism, Minor in Sports Communication, 2012
BAR ADMISSION and ACTIVITIES
- Member, Trusts and Estates Division, Virginia State Bar
- Member, Real Property, Trusts, and Estate Law Division, Virginia Bar Association
- Articles Editor (2015-2016); Staff Member (2016-2017); Journal of Law & Technology
- Student Member, American Inns of Court (2016-2017)
- Intermediate Level Graduate, Wealth and Trust School, Americans Banker Association
- Volunteer, Wills for Senior Pro Bono Program
- RVA Dukes Scholarship Review Committee